BAGGAGE - Excess carry-on baggage charge at the boarding gate
FYI - on domestic flights in Peru and Chile (except to/from IPC), all pieces not meeting LATAM’s carry-on standards (number of pieces, maximum weight and size) will be charged an excess baggage fee to be paid at the boarding gate.
If a piece is withheld at the gate, the passenger can pay a fee to send it in the cargo hold. These pieces will be tagged as “paid baggage” and sent in the cargo hold.
For the moment, the excess carry-on fee is only being charged on domestic flights in Chile (except to/from IPC) and Peru. Implementation in other markets will be announced as the date approaches.
Please remember the carry-on baggage rules for these domestic routes:
- One piece up to 8 kilograms, maximum size 55 x 35 x 25 cm (height, length, width), including pockets, wheels and handles.
- One personal item (handbag, laptop bag, diaper bag, etc.), maximum size 45 x 35 x 20 cm (height, length, width).
- Other items like a jacket, walking cane, umbrella, small camera, binoculars, reading material, small duty free bag, etc. Check details in Carry-on Baggage.
- This policy only applies to passengers traveling domestically in Peru and Chile (except between SCL and IPC).
- Passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage that does not comply with the above allowance will be subject to charges at the gate. Even those passengers with a checked-baggage allowance who did not check their baggage during check-in will be subject to excess carry-on charges at the boarding gate.
- Passengers who do not have any of the accepted means of payment with them at the gate will be allowed to return to the check-in area to pay with other means of payment and will be boarded as DS on the next flight with space available after paying for the checked bag.
- Passengers refusing to pay will not be allowed to check their bag on the flight. LATAM does not offer baggage storage or custody services.
The excess carry-on baggage fees are:
- Chile CLP 30,000
- Peru USD 35.00
The following passengers are not subject to excess carry-on charges:
- Unaccompanied minors (UMNR)
- Passengers with involuntary changes over 1 hour.
- Black and Black Signature members
Travel Agencies must inform customers of excess carry-on baggage charges at the time of providing the information about baggage allowances.